Objectives and competences
Graduate in Gastronomy and Culinary Arts
Donostia - San Sebastián (Basque Culinary Center)
Objetives and Competences
Once they have completed training, graduates in Gastronomy and Culinary Arts will have acquired the skills detailed below to do the various professional functions they will perform:
- To design and plan novel menus and gastronomic offers by experimenting with a range of raw materials and/or processes, taking the context, demand and customer expectations into consideration; while applying the criteria of quality, and workplace and food safety.
- To identify and assess the application of innovative processes in the area of customer service and attention in order to submit the most comprehensive, high-quality gastronomic offer.
- To identify, specify and apply know-how and techniques relating to people management in contexts relevant to the sector.
- To identify and apply management tools and techniques of the various processes (processes to support the service, production processes and marketing processes), bearing in mind customer orientation, business profitability and the legislation in force.
- To carry out economic and financial feasibility studies of the various business models of catering organisations that ensure a balance between quality and services offered and the sustainability of them.
- To identify and assess the main aspects and trends in gastronomic culture on a national and international level, recognising possible spaces for this sphere in which changes and innovations may be introduced and which allow new ideas and/or activities to be developed.
- To specify and develop an innovative proposal for viable, sustainable business in the gastronomic sphere or to incorporate improvements into existing businesses.
- To identify and analyse the phases in the process to design and develop new gastronomic products, concepts and services while applying the legislation and regulations in force in aspects pertaining to health, hygiene, environment and occupational prevention and safety.
- To participate in the design and implementation of working projects carried out on the basis of a request for advice in the gastronomic sphere, while acting systematically, professionally and rigorously.
- To apply concepts, techniques and methods of a scientific nature to pieces of work and projects relating to products and raw materials, technology, food processing, consumer behaviour and trends, etc. in the field of gastronomy.
- To design and maintain a straightforward information and surveillance system to keep up to date with gastronomic matters in order to identify one’s own training needs and enable one to acquire further knowledge with a high degree of autonomy.
- To effectively use different tools and means of information/communication not only to receive and assess information generated around the sector, but also to generate and transmit information relating to the various aspects of it in multidisciplinary and even multicultural teams.
- To develop dissemination and training activities basing oneself on the results of pieces of work and projects carried out, geared towards professionals in the sector as well as towards people outside it and using a range of training tools and means.
The main objective of the degree in Gastronomy and Culinary Arts is to train professionals able to design, implement and supervise systems of preparation and production of high-quality gastronomic services. Once qualified, the professional will be able to create new products, services and enterprises. He or she will also be able to offer advice and consultancy in the field of catering and gastronomy, from the perspective of innovation and communication.
- Identify and develop techniques and systems of production and preparation of food.
- Manage catering enterprises, directing the different processes, and giving special attention to the balance of the team, the quality of the products and services, and the sustainability of the business.
- Design and develop proposals for innovative business.
- Participate in work and research activities, to apply them in different areas.
- Create and disseminate information about gastronomy, using communication in a strategic way.