PhD Programme in Advanced Management in Organizations and Social Economy
Full-time: 3 years (possibility of extending in 2 years).
Part-time: 5 years (possibility of extending in 3 years).
Spanish, Basque, English
The tutor is the person who together with the director accompanies the student in the process of research to ensure an effective relationship between the student and the Academic Committee of the Doctoral Programme.
The tutor will be a doctor with accredited research experience linked to the research lines of the doctoral programme, whose duties will be:
- Design, plan and supervise, in coordination with the director, the coherence and suitability of the training activities.
- Monitor on a regular basis together with the director by means of a reasoned report on training activities and the research plan and endorse – if appropriate - developments and detailed improvements to them.
- Ensure the interaction of the student with the Academic Committee of the Doctoral Programme (CAPD).
- Facilitate access to the infrastructure necessary to achieve the objectives and targets within the student's general work plan.
- Ensure that the student understands the Academic Guide and administrative regulations for the presentation and reading of the thesis, and the deadlines applicable to the development of the thesis.
- Other duties as assigned by the CAPD.
The director is the person who together with the tutor accompanies the student in the process of research. A thesis director, and co-director if necessary, will be assigned within six months of registration. The director (and if applicable the co-director ) may or may not be the same person as the tutor.
The director may be any doctor, whether Spanish or not, with accredited research experience, independent of the university, centre or institution using his or her services.
The functions of the director are:
- Mentor and direct the design and monitoring of the Research Plan together with the tutor, by establishing regular meetings with both student and tutor.
- Design, plan and supervise, in co-operation with the tutor, the coherence and suitability of training activities, following these two principles.
- Facilitate the provision of all the equipment and infrastructure that the university has available for doctoral students for the development of research activities.
- Evaluate on an annual basis in conjunction with the tutor, using a reasoned report (PI).
- Foster and support the student to develop his or her own capacity for research, independent work and critical data analysis.
- Enable the student to go deeper into their area of research through the advice of experts in the area and interaction with academic peers.
- Read, correct and comment on the scientific publications arising from the thesis project.
- Ensure that the student understands the academic & administrative requirements for the defence of the thesis, as well as the deadlines and time limits corresponding to the whole process.
- Other duties as assigned by the CAPD.
The functions described previously make up a commitment document that is signed by the university, the student, the tutor and the director. It includes a conflict resolution procedure and covers intellectual and industrial property rights. If necessary a confidentiality agreement will be signed within a separate document.
Procedure for change of tutor, director or co-director
A change in the allocation of tutor and/or director can occur when:
- The Academic Committee, can, after discussion with the student and following a written request, make a change to the tutor, director or co-director of the thesis at any time during the period of the doctorate, as long as there are justified grounds to do so.
- Having collected written arguments from the tutor, the director or co-director, and after hearing the views of the student, the CAPD will make a decision based on the wishes of the student or when it believes that there are overriding reasons for so doing.
- In the case of conflict or force majeure, the CAPD, after considering those involved (tutor, director, co-director, student), will adjudicate.
The CAPD will decide by a simple majority (the Coordinator of the doctoral programme has a casting vote) if it is appropriate to make the change requested, having considered all the evidence.