Visa and health insurance


Citizens from the European Union do not need a visa. With a valid Identity Card or Passport in force, you can stay as long as you want.

All other citizens need a student visa. This is provided by the Spanish Consulate Office in the country of origin. All student visas are valid for a period of 90 days maximum. After that period you must contact the local authorities.


If you are from an European Union country you should bring the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

If you are a non-EU citizen, you will need a private health insurance, covering medical assistance in cases of illness or accidents.

You will be asked for liability insurance, which is an insurance that covers for any damage you may cause to third parties. This insurance can be taken out in your home country or upon arrival.

The public health resources of the Basque Country are managed by the Basque Government through the Basque Health Service (Osakidetza). This unit, according to the experts, provides a high level health care, and, according to the users, represents the Basque Country's most highly-valued public asset. All this enables us to place ourselves in the lead among developed countries in terms of life expectancy and the number of physicians per inhabitant.

  • Emergency telephone: 112
  • Hospital in Mondragon: 943 03 53 00
  • Hospital in San Sebastian: 943 00 70 00